Friday, May 27, 2011

Goodbye cards of summer

A new Discover card came in the mail today.

I didn't realized the old one was about to expire because it had been shredded months ago. I'm not sure it really was about to expire, because the expiration date on the new card is only about 18 months out.

So, I activated the card, which seems strange to do, since this one will just be shredded too. But I find myself just letting the card sit here, its new baseball-themed design staring up at me from the table.

According to my debt payoff plan, this card should be paid off in sometime around the time this card is set to expire.

Maybe I should just close this account to new charges. I had been keeping the accounts active, in the hopes that as my debt is paid down it will actually help me get a lower interest rate on the couple of cards that are charging insane interest based on their formulas that seem to think I will default, even though I haven't had a late payments in more than 4 years according to my latest credit report. But the Discover card actually has my lowest interest rate, and I don't have any reason to think it will get any better before the card gets paid off.

So, I don't know what's the best thing to do or the right thing to do on issues like this in my debt payoff journey. But I know if the cards are shredded they can't be used.

So, the pretty new baseball-themed Discover card has been processed through the shredder. Bye, bye baseball Discover.

No comments:

The End Debt Daily paper.li