Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The haunting

I stopped off on my way to work for a cup of coffee and an Egg McMuffin and Ron's place and was perplexed for a bit by the young woman who handed me my Caffeine McCholesterol.

I instantly recognized the item hanging around her neck as a stethoscope. My brain was not so quick to figure out why the woman in drivethru might also potentially ask me to turn my head and cough. I just figured that maybe she was working two jobs and forgot to leave the medical instrument in the car after working graveyard at the hospital before working the breakfast shift at McDonalds.

It wasn't until I was driving away that I realized that today was Halloween and the woman in the drivethru window was wearing a costume.

Later in the day I ended up staying late at work, which was fine with me because it might mean I could miss the trick-or-treat rush. As I told someone today, I don't shop for myself, I sure as hell ain't buying stuff to give away to other people's kids. Unfortunately, when I got home, a small squad of costumed candy bandits was knocking at the door in the apartment before mine. I made sure to take my sweet time getting out of the car until the little letches walked well away from the entrance to my abode before I made my break for it.

I didn't even bother to turn on the light when I got inside, but headed for the back room furthest away from the front door. And that's where I found myself for the rest of the evening, hiding out in a back room of my apartment, cowering in a corner. My annual Halloween haunting vexed me yet again. Now it's the midnight hour and the incessant knocking has finally stopped.

Suddenly I have a craving for a Snickers bar.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Um...as a person who fell into the trap of hiding from the annual candy bandits, I wouldn't advocate making a habit of it...it becomes eerie in its own right...booooooo

Anonymous said...

If a kid knocked on my door at midnight, he'd get the scare of his lifetime when I answered.9 PM is the cut-off, period. After that, the only thing a trick-or-treater should get, is yelled at! And I'm the mother of a couple of rug-rat-trick-or-treaters.

Oh, and I have left-over Snicker bars if ya want one. But you better get on a plane quick! My rugrats are little candy theives.

;-)3T

The G-man said...

I swear I jumped every time someone knocked at the door. And the last knock wasn't at midnight, but it did come awfully late, after I had gotten brave and moved back into the livingroom so I could at least watch TV. And I didn't do that until 9 p.m.

The End Debt Daily paper.li