Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Friends at always low prices

I blame Garth Brooks.

I know, I said I wasn't going to buy his new box set, and technically I didn't. But his only CD of not previously released music out of that box set, "The Lost Sessions" went on sale today at Wal-Mart, so I decided to get it. I didn't see any need to buy the box set, when I own all the other CDs in it, but I was curious about "The Lost Sessions" CD.

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart store in a couple of years. I got quite turned off to Wal-Mart when I lived in Southern California. The stores were always packed and you couldn't walk through the aisles with playing a game of human bumper cars. Then I discovered Target stores, and for most of the last 5 1/2 years I lived closer to a Target story and Wal-Mart anyway. So I just didn't go. There was no need to go and certainly no desire to go.

The last time I was in Wal-Mart was a couple of years ago. I was heading home for Christmas and was still a few gifts shy in my shopping list. Since my parents live out in the middle of BFE Eastern Oregon, the options of where to shop anywhere nearby are pretty limited. It was either Wal-Mart or 7-Eleven, so I opted for Wal-Mart.

So tonight after work, I went back to Hillbilly retail heaven. My plan was to buy a CD, one CD only, and leave. But I found myself cruising the aisles, half tempted to get a computer desk which was similar in style to one I'd been looking at but at a much lower price. And then there was the TV, a 27-inch just like I have been thinking about, for less than $200 bucks.

Then there were the CDs. I found the Garth Brooks one I wanted and several others I was interested in for less than $10. So I picked up 4.

And I realized while walking through the store that this was indeed a blue collar shopper's delight. The people milling around were the great unwashed, regular Joes and Janes, Joses and Marias. Common folk. My folk.

Yes, I was surrounded by my people. The same type of people I grew up with and have known all my life. Ordinary folks living ordinary lives.

The thing is, I don't care to much for my people. I have to look at my ugly mug in the mirror every day, why would I want to hang out with people like me? You know who they/we are, they/we are the people who know what NASCAR stands for, have actually owned a set of Kraco car stereo speakers, think The Clapper was a great invention, have actually given (or received) a Chia Pet as a gift, don't snicker when someone says Budweiser is the king of beers (but may argue that Coors or Miller is fuckin' better dude) and own household furniture that the bought in a box and assembled at home.

Damn that Garth Brooks anyhow! I don't need any more friends in low places.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, you don't have an "ugly mug." (Knock that shit off) ;-) Second, "friends in low places" know how to have some fun!

Although I understand about the Wal Mart thing. I much rather shop a Target then a Wal mart any day of the week!

My question is, did ya buy the TV?

;-)3T

Diana Benning said...

That just pisses me off! They should not sell a boxed set as exclusive and then turn around as sell the one CD that was the entire reason for buying the Boxed Set. I did get the boxed set as a Christmas gift, but it will be the last thing I get from Wal-Mart and Garth Brooks for that matter. He and Wally World ripped us off!

I don't shop at Wal-Mart! What they do to small town America is no different than murder! They come into town, offer some jobs with no union wages of course, no benefits, nothing! They force local retailers to close down becasue they cannot compete. It just drives me crazy! If you live in a small town, you must support your local retailers! The locals will be the first to complain about prices, and how they can get things cheaper at Wal-Mart, but then they are all up in arms, when they can't run down the block to their local hardware or grocery store.

OK, I will stop now, I am passionate about this subject as you can tell!

Oh, and I am also passionate about your "mug" and the rest of you too!

Anonymous said...

OK, um, the Clapper? Is the greatest thing EVER INVENTED. Period.

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you my Garth Brooks Story.
WalMart is the rainy day 25 buck solution while Target is the 50+ solution. Don't ask me to explain it, it requires graphs, twine, and three squirrels. Too graphic for me.
Hope all is well.

The G-man said...

So, Tish, what's your Garth Brooks story?

And Brat, you just need to calm down, go to the Wal-Mart pharmacy and get a chill pill!

The End Debt Daily paper.li