Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Details on the earthquake

OK, it's not like anyone is turning to this site for breaking Coachella Valley or Palm Springs news, but here's the scoop on the earthquake.

The following is the information just posted on
The Desert Sun's Web site (which is where people should be turning for their breaking Coachella Valley news), but for some reason, the full post doesn't come up when you click on the headline. Anyway, here's what I know and what the newspaper is sharing with online readers now, and will get into some print editions in the morning.

"An earthquake, shortly after midnight this morning, shook the Coachella Valley.

Preliminary reports from the California Integrated Seismic Net indicate the quake, which struck at 12:10 a.m., had a magnitude of 4.3 and was located about 7 miles east of Desert Hot Springs and 9 miles north of Thousand Palms.

A dispatcher with the Desert Hot Springs Police Department said they have received some calls from residents unsettled by the temblor, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries."

If you want to check out a map of recent earthquakes in the Palm Springs area, go here.

The quake was felt as far away as Los Angeles and San Diego.

A few nerves were shaken by the quake, which sounded like a big truck rattling down a washboard road. But so far, there are no report of any major damage.

Rain. Wind. Floods. Earthquakes. What's next? Locusts?

Don't tell my grandmother. She'll just say it's a further sign that the end is near.

And if that's true, why am I worrying about my credit card bills?

3 comments:

Diana Benning said...

Oh my! I hope all of you desert dwellers are OK. Is this your first earthquake since moving to Palm Springs? I remember living through my first earthquake, my nerves were a little shattered.

The G-man said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The G-man said...

It looks like everyone came through the quake here fine. Most quakes rattle more nerves than anything else.

This was not my first quake since moving to Palm Springs, but it may be the strongest one with the epicenter here since I lived here.

There was a Palm Springs area quake (The Hector Mine Quake, Oct. 16, 1999, magnitude 7.1) that I felt when I lived up in central California.

I moved here anyway.

This one was one of those jolt quakes. Like someone graps the house and just give it a short, quick shake. The creapiest ones are the ones where if feels like the earth's surface has turned to water and the building you are in is suddenly floating on the sea. When the ground is undulating in all directions.

The End Debt Daily paper.li