Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Overwhelmed by the tsunami

I admit it. I'm overwhelmed by the devastation of the earthquake and tsunami that has killed more than 137,000 people in the Indian Ocean basin.

I don't know what to say about it.

The loss of life is just too much for my small brain to calculate. It's just too much.

I'll leave the analysis and insightful posts to people with more cognitive power than I can muster.

Yes, it's a big story. A huge story. And yes, I'm in the news business. But I can't pretend to know how to address that carnage or the efforts of ordinary folks to try to do something to help.

I only hope that all the money being raised and relief supplies being shipped get to the people who need them. I won't be surprised if in a few weeks, or months, we hear about millions, or billions, of dollars in cash and supplies that were wasted or went to line some opportunistic bastards' pockets.

So, this may be my only mention of the tsunami. It's not that I don't care, I just don't know how to do the topic justice from so far away.

1 comment:

Shantanu said...

what has happened is indeed very tragic......think about it I was there right on the beach when I saw the waves crash onto the beach......each waves were almost 10 meters high.....i dont know what to say......
visit my blog too shans281.blogspot.com

The End Debt Daily paper.li