Saturday, January 15, 2005

Now what?

Made it through another week. Big whoop. I can't say that I'm particularly thrilled even though the weekend is here.

A couple of colleagues from work are leaving the state. Friday was their last day. And I'm bummed. These are two of the key people that get things done, make things happen, in our office. And I'll be sad to see them go.

Our tradition is to gather everyone together for some speachifying and some cake whenever someone leaves. In the last 5 years, a lot of cake has been cut and consumed. There was another one Friday. I've lost count of how many people have left in the time I've been here. But the two people leaving today will be hard to see go, both professionally and personally.

It's not that I'm particularly tight with the two people leaving. It's just that we got here the same year and, well, most of the other people who got here that year (and there were a bunch) are gone now. It's feeling pretty lonely.

Tonight is their going away bash. I'll go. And I'm sure it will be fun. But it will be sad too. I don't like sad. I'm too emotional for sad. I cry too easily for a guy. I hate to cry, especially in public settings.

I want to be happy for them, for their new adventure and new opportunities. And, deep down I am. But gradually I've grown to feel awfully alone in a big room filled with dozens of people. Friday night, it got even more empty. And yes, a few tears were shed.

Good luck Jeff and Dawn. You will definitely be missed.

1 comment:

Diana Benning said...

I guess the thing to do, after blowing off some steam at the party is to enjoy the rest of the weekend and be thankful you still have a job. It can't be easy. Have a good day and enjoy your evening.

The End Debt Daily paper.li